This list of ever-growing Free Online Applications and Services now includes many items in multiple categories.
NoF basic OpenSource list
We've created an extensive list of free options to help you reach your goals. Filled with helpful tips on using what is available to you to get the job done on-time and under-budget in areas where resources are scarce and needs are many. A little creative thinking and a versatile set of inexpensive tools can go a long way.
All of the images for Raspberry Pi are located on our ftp site at
- ftp://nof.nerdoffortune.org username: insidengo password: conference
Images available are: ipfire, pibang, pwnpi, raspbx, and screenlyOSE. We encourage you to visit the developer's sites as well:
- http://www.ipfire.org/ - IPFire OpenSource Firewall Distribution
- http://pibanglinux.org - PiBang Linux, inspired by Crunchbang
- http://www.pwnpi.com/ - PwnPi Pen test Drop Box Distro
- http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/ - RasPBX Asterisk Distro
Also, there is a zip file for the basic NOOBS package that you can get from http://www.raspberrypi.org/
Here is a link describing how to install these images to an SD card, please note that putting NOOBS on an SD card is a different process than installing an .img file: http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup
- http://www.downloadcrew.com/devd — Devd is an open source http server for 64-bit Windows, OS X and Linux
- http://www.downloadcrew.com/wireshark — Wireshark provides detailed information about network traffic and usage
- http://www.aircrack-ng.org/ - Aircrack-ng is a network software suite consisting of a detector, packet sniffer, WEP and WPA/WPA2-PSK cracker and analysis tool for 802.11 wireless LANs.
- http://www.libreoffice.org/ — OpenSource Office Suite (compatible with MS Office)
- https://www.openoffice.org/ — OpenSource Office Suite (compatible with MS Office)
- https://www.neooffice.org/ — MacOSX free version available
- https://drive.google.com/ — Cloud based document storage
- https://docs.google.com/ — Cloud based document creation suite
- http://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions — List of Linux variants
- http://distrowatch.com/ — Linux distributions reviews, news, etc.
- http://freecadweb.org/ - OpenSource CAD modeler
- http://www.sketchup.com/ - 3D modeling/design software (free version available)
- http://www.qcad.org/en/ - 2D CAD for Windows, Linux, and Mac
- http://www.radionomy.com/en - Free web radio broadcasting
- https://obsproject.com/ - OpenSource Broadcasting project
- http://serviio.org/ - Free media server
- https://plex.tv/ - Free media server
NoF Nerd Tools
Here is an extensive list of more technical nerdy free options. From programming and coding to security and networking options, this list will help the Nerd of Fortune to complete almost any task without digging into his or her pocket.
- http://colorexplorer.com/colorpicker.aspx - ColorExplorer gives you color codes in RGB, HSV and Hex instantly when you choose a color from the vertical slider or color square. Choosing colors from Libraries and saving your picked colors to your Palettes are available.
- http://www.colorinhtml.com/ - Color (in) HTML is an easy to use, just drag markers to pick a color, click the Generate CSS button, and Hex and CSS codes are ready for you to copy to the clipboard. You can also lock a color while picking another to compare and build a theme.
- http://www.onlinehtmleditor.net/ - Online HTML Editor , simple and easy to use, just edit html codes in an expandable box provided and see the live results in another. One-click opening and closing tags are included.
- http://www.textfixer.com/ - Text Fixer offers a raft of tools including Convert Word to HTML, Text to HTML helpful for editing web pages. Remove Line Breaks also comes in handy if you want to copy and paste text from a web site, email or anywhere without unwanted line breaks.
- http://pastebin.com/ - Pastebin is a paste tool established since 2002 for you to upload snippets of text and code with syntax highlighting for easy sharing. You can set the post for private or public access within a certain period of time you defined, with more options available.
Security and Privacy
- https://www.virustotal.com/ - Virustotal , an online independent service to analyse suspicious files and detect viruses, worms, trojans and other malware by multiple antivirus engines. Detailed results from each antivirus engine are listed after it has scanned the file uploaded.
- http://www.spamgourmet.com/index.pl -Spamgourmet forwards only a limited number of mails to your protected email address and eats the rest. Just register your username and protected email address, then give out any disposable email addresses in this form email@example.com. Adding trusted senders and more settings are available.
- http://scr.im/ - Scrim converts your email address into a short and safe link (for instance http://scr.im/joe) so that you can share it on the web to avoid spam robots and get less spam.
- https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.example.com - WOT (Web of Trust) "provides fastest ratings, uses green / yellow / red ratings and 'people' reliability icons, multiple rating categories to help you evaluate websites, fantastic warning screen to empower users to avoid potentially bad websites before interacting with them."
- http://onlinelinkscan.com/ - Online Link Scan helps you scan links for harmful threats such as viruses, spyware, trojans or other malware. It also shows you the host IP, any threat name and the overall result if the site is secure.
- https://www.opendns.com/ - OpenDNS , "a web based service that in conjunction with your own system's network configuration redirects all your browsing through OpenDNS servers where it is filtered for content."
- https://privnote.com/ - Privnote allows you to write a confidential note and send a link to someone for reading it. The note is destroyed after reading once, no more worrying about your message being forwarded to and read by others.
- http://urlxray.com/ - URL X-ray examines a shortened URL you gave and finds out where it leads to before you actually click on it. It helps surfing the net more safely.
Desktop and GUI
- http://digital-art-gallery.com/desktop-wallpaper - Desktop Wallpaper Tool allows you to quickly create desktop wallpapers auto-adapted to your screen resolution by cropping or scaling images from your collection or from Art Galleries, with supports for modern HTML5 capabilities.
- http://www.ffonts.net/ - FFonts , a useful resource to search for new or top fonts by category, download and unzip them for installing and adding more fonts to your system.
- http://www.identifont.com/ - Identifont , "one of the best resources on the internet for identifying fonts and typefaces—just answer a handful of questions about the appearance of certain characters, and the site will tell you the name of the font."
- http://fontstruct.com/ - FontStruct , create your own True-Type fonts with a graphic tool in a grid base and save them, or search by tag for the fonts built by others and download them to your computer easily. (Review) [See also PaintFont.com for creating a font of your own handwriting
- http://www.freefontconverter.com/ - FreeFontConverter , a handy tool to convert fonts between ttf, otf, pfa, pfb, ttc, svg, pt3, sfd, otb, t42, cef, cff, gsf, ik, mf, dfont, bin, suit and bdf for their suitable uses in Windows, Mac and Linux.
- https://iconverticons.com/online/ - iConvert iCons converts an image into an icon for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux in one step, or converts Windows icons to Mac OS X icons, svg icons to Windows icons, png icons to Mac OS X icons and so on."
Free Hacking Tools
- http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/ - It is a free password cracker software which is based on the effective implementation of the rainbow tables. It runs on a number of Operating Systems like Mac OS X, Unix/Linux and Windows Operating System. It is equipped with real-time graphs for analyzing the passwords and is an open source software. Ophcrack has the capability to crack both NTLM hashes as well as LM hashes.
- http://foofus.net/goons/jmk/medusa/medusa.html - Medusa is one of the best online brute-force, speedy, parallel password crackers which is available on the Internet. It has been designed by the members of the website foofus.net. It is also widely used in Penetration testing to ensure that the vulnerability of the system can be exposed and appropriate security measures can be taken against hacking.
- http://project-rainbowcrack.com/ - Rainbow Crack as the name suggests, is a cracker for hashes with the Rainbow Tables. It runs on multiple operating systems such as Linux, Windows Vista, Windows XP (Windows Operating Systems). It supports both Graphical User Interface as well as Command line Interface. It's software which is used for password cracking by generating rainbow tables, fuzzing all the parameters.
- http://www.hoobie.net/brutus/ - Brutus is one of the most flexible and free password crackers which operates remotely. It is popular also because of its high speed and operates under operating systems such as Windows 2000, Windows NT and Windows 9x. Currently it does not operate under the UNIX operating system. Brutus was initially designed to check network devices like routers for common as well as default passwords.
- http://www.aircrack-ng.org/ - It is a network software suite used in 802.11 Wireless Local Area Networks. It consists of tools such as a packet sniffer, detector and a WEP. This tool runs on both Windows and Linux Operating systems. It can work with any type of wireless network interface controller, provided the driver is supporting the raw monitoring mode.
- http://www.oxid.it/cain.html - Cain and Abel, often referred to as Cain, is a tool for recovering the password in the Windows platform. It has the capability to recover various kinds of passwords using techniques such as cracking the password hashes by using brute-forcing, dictionary attacks, cryptanalysis attacks and packet sniffing in the network.
- http://www.kismetwireless.net/ - Kismet is a wireless detector system which detects possible intrusion to an 802.11 layer2 wireless network, it is also a sniffer. There are certain plug-in supported by Kismet which enable sniffing media like DECT. . It also has the capacity to infer whether a non beaconing network is present or not via the data traffic in the network and a network is identified by this tool by collecting data packets passively, detecting hidden and standard named networks.
- http://codebutler.com/firesheep/ - In order to log into a website, a user has submit details like his or her username and password. The server validates these data and sends back a “cookie”. The websites usually encrypts the password however does not encrypt other details which leaves the cookie exposed to hacking threats which are also known as HTTP session hijacking. Firesheep has a packet sniffer which can intercept the cookies which are encrypted from Social Media sites like Twitter and Facebook and comes with the Firefox web browser. Firesheep is available for both the Windows and Mac OS X operating system. It would also run on the Linux platform in the new future.
- https://nmap.org/ - Nmap or Network Mapper is a free open source utility tool for network discovery and security auditing solution for you. It is a flexible, powerful, portable and easy-to-use tool that is supported by most of the operating systems like Linux, Windows, Solaris, Mac OS and others.